How to Get Rid of Black Mold?
Black mold can be very bad for you. It can cause symptoms similar to those suffered in an upper respiratory tract infection, such as wheezing or coughing. Indoor mold exposure can cause respiratory illness in children, even if they are perfectly healthy in other circumstances. Those with susceptibility to hypersensitivity pneumonitis are at greater risk of developing the condition if exposed to black mold, and people who have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) can be in danger of developing a fungal infection in their lungs from the mold spores.
Get rid of it fast
Fortunately, if you catch the black mold before it has time to spread all over, it’s easy enough to get rid of. Mold growing on a hard surface can be washed away by a thorough cleansing, either with a commercially-sold cleaning agent or with a home-made solution of a cup of bleach mixed with a gallon of water. However, if the black mold is growing on a porous surface, like ceiling tiles, carpet, or drywall, it becomes a little more difficult to dispose of.
The best idea is to throw the material away
Even once you’ve thrown out the affected material, make sure to thoroughly clean and dry the surrounding area. If moisture remains, it’s possible that the black mold could come back. If there is an extensive amount of black mold in your house, it’s probably safest to call a company to remove it professionally, just so that you can be sure it’s all gone. However, if there are only small patches, you can remove it yourself, following the tips and steps that we will discuss in this article.
The first thing to remember is to wear protective gear while cleaning up the black mold, because it can be hazardous to your health. Wear a respirator and goggles to prevent the spores from getting into your lungs or infecting your eyes. Also make sure to wear non-porous rubber gloves, as well as clothing that covers your entire body and that can easily cleaned or gotten rid of when you are done cleaning.
Cleaning the area
There are some further considerations that you will need to bear in mind as you begin the process. First, if you are using bleach to clean up the mold, remember never to mix the bleach with ammonia or other types of household cleaners. They can produce toxic fumes that will be dangerous to you. To make sure to prevent this, open any doors or windows into the room so that you can have plenty of fresh air circulating through it. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions when using the bleach.
Be well prepared
If you have to clean an area larger than ten square feet, it would be a good idea to check the “Guide to Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings” put out by the Environmental Protection Agency. Although it may be specifically directed towards commercial buildings and schools, the tips can still apply to other structures, such as homes.
To actually clean up the mold, you should begin by using water to lightly misting the area that needs to be cleansed. Then scrub the mold off using warm, soapy water or the mixture of water and bleach. Once all the mold is gone, be sure to spray the cleaned area with disinfectant, to make sure that any left-over mold spores which may not have been visible are destroyed. Some of the useful disinfectants that you might wish to use are alcohols, phenolics, quaternary ammonium compounds, hypochlorites like Clorox bleach, iodophors and hydrogen peroxide.
Let it dry
Once the affected area has been cleaned and disinfected, you should seal the room and allow everything to dry thoroughly before using it again. Although black mold can be harmful to your health, it is possible to get rid of it completely, and then your home will be safe and clean once more.
More on mold problems